by inklight | 18 September 2014
3D Print Production (with turntable video)
3D model glamor shot - with metallic finish.
3D print Strategy:
This was the last task to create a print model from the existing assets. After inspecting the model, I wasn't happy with the mesh weight and repairs were not time effective since 3D printing could be adversely effected.
I decided to use Modo's retopology tool to recreate the outer spheroid and satellites and I am very glass I did. The model is light and clean.
- I used a modified pilot chair from the Modo asset library.
- Used the retopology tool to cleanup Mesh Fusion booleans and prep model for printing.
- I took MakerBot's suggestion and exaggerated / sculpted in some detail like the drop levying the core hull.
- I created a box like most action figures and collectable models, they come in cool packaging.
- I also created a one pager brochure sci-fi technology back story to extend the concept and as a "value added".
TIME 3D print could ship:
• in "The Foundry." branded box
[ http://challenge.cgsociety.org/modo/entry/inklight/work_in_progress/10007752 ]
• with poster of the TIME ad
[ http://challenge.cgsociety.org/modo/entry/inklight/final_entry/10007765 ]
• with poster style "1 pager" TIME feature highlights
[ http://challenge.cgsociety.org/modo/entry/inklight/work_in_progress/10007750 ]